The player who triggered a Lantern is adding a Guard as follows:
- Take a Guard Meeple from the surplus pile,
- drop it from a height of at least 3 inches onto the centre of the playing board which is in front of the forward most Ninja,
- move the Guard meeple to the closest empty tile to where it has landed.
If the meeple lands off the board above which it is dropped:
- Move it back onto that board and
- place it on the closest available tile to where it came to rest.
The player then sets the Lantern Cube that was on their played card to one side.
If the surplus pile is empty:
- Use Guard Meeples from playing boards the Ninja have already passed.