1) Select a player to be the LEADER: The leader plays the game as normal; however it is the leader's responsibility to deal out cards, time the trading phase, and moderate discussion during the Unlock Phase.
If at any point the Leader feels a discussion is dragging, they may set a timer (not included) and move the group to the next phase when the timer is complete.
2) The Leader shuffles the Role cards and deals one card face-down to each player. Role cards determine a player's team, either KIDS or NEIGHBORS.
The Role cards have a number on the top right showing their required player count. Remove the Role cards with player counts higher than your current number of players, then shuffle the remaining cards and deal one to each player.
Do not show your Role card to anyone or discuss the artwork. Players cannot show their Role card to any player (unless the text on an Object card specifically states otherwise).
3) Deal Object Cards: Object cards are collected and traded by players throughout the game. Obtaining a set of three of the same Object card allows a player to perform a special action during the Powers Phase.
Remove the Object cards with player counts higher than your current number of players, then shuffle the remaining cards and deal four face-down cards to each player.
4) Distribute Object Guides: Give each player an Object Guide so they can see what the different Objects do. Familiarize yourself with each Object's special action.
5) Set the Keys aside: The game includes 3 plastic Keys. Use the chart below to determine how many Keys will be used for your game. Place the Keys in the center of the table or play area.