1) Place the Game board in the middle of the table.
2) Place the 6 Company Certificates near Main Street.
3) All 36 Floor cubes are put into one of the linen bags. Randomly draw out 24 of the Floor cubes. Place them numbered side up in 3 rows of 8 cubes each beside the board. The 12 remaining Floor cubes are not used in this game and are returned to the box.
4) Shuffle the 12 Rooftops with their numbers face down and place them near the Game board. If desired, use the other bag to store the Rooftops.
5) Place the 3 Building Permits, Cancel cube, and Mayor near the Game board.
6) Each player receives $12 million in Checks.
Randomly determine the starting player.