The game ends in a draw if any of these conditions occur:
- The game is automatically a draw if the player to move is not in check and has no legal move. This situation is called a stalemate (see Stalemate).
- The game is immediately drawn for a dead position (see Dead Position).
- Both players agree to a draw after one of the players makes such an offer (see Agreeing to Draw).
- The player having the move may claim a draw by declaring that one of the following conditions exists, or by declaring an intention to make a move which will bring about one of these conditions. If the claim is proven true, the game is drawn:
* The same board position has occurred three times with the same player to move and all pieces having the same rights to move, including the right to castle or capture en passant.
* There has been no capture or pawn move in the last fifty moves by each player, if the last move was not a checkmate.